The time at camp is coming to a close. It's been a wonderful week. I did things I never imagined I was capable of doing. I would like everyone to know that I enjoy a little bit of camping here and there. S'mores by the fire. Everyone cozy and sharing stories in the great outdoors. This, however, is child's play I came to find out as I was asked to accompany the camp on a 3 day hike in which I was expected to carry my own food, tent, clothing, and firewood for my tentmates. My back might have been well over 50 lbs, even though all the camp staff assured me I could handle it.
Well I did it. And I survived and I even enjoyed it! The first 30 minutes were probably the hardest. But after that, I felt like I could keep going on for miles and miles...maybe. Of course I was in the slow, steady group who reached camp last but in high spirits. Sleeping on the ground and peeing in the woods are still two things I don't know if I will ever find enjoyable. Yet it was a wonderful experience and I hope I get to do it again sometimes. Looking down on the valleys below from an alp upon which I never dared to deam myself worthy of climbing, I can't recall many times in which I felt so accomplished and in awe of nature. It truly is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.
Other than that time at camp has been full of exciting nights. We had a night of celtic merry making, as we learned folk dances, and played games at the Masquerade. The entire camp had made plaster masks earlier in the week and we all wore them along with matching outfits. It was definitely a night to be remembered. Tonight we had a game night involving life sized janga, human alphabet, and a competition of who could come up with the best commercial. It was pretty great. And apparently the French know who Billy Mayes was, I was impressed.
Tomorrow night is a banquet/talent show night and there has been much talk. I am eager to see and hear what is to come. Also, quick note, I shared my testimony alongside a girl I met while hear another counselor named Sasha. Our stories were similar and afterwards a couple french kids said they were inspired to write down their own stories. I thank the Lord for all the amazing opportunities I've had. And the opportunity has arisen for a possible stay in Paris. One of the campers here offered if i wanted to stay with their family for a few days before I left. We shall see what the future holds. But until then know that hearts are full here. ALthough very tired and we are still full of joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment