Wednesday, November 4, 2009

He opens the door and you can see on his face the sweet excitement for college. With blue jeans and a shirt the bears the name of his beloved state, it's not hard to differ this guy is not from southern California. I answer his questions and help him find directions because he reminds me of home, of my little brother. He smiles and says thank you. As he goes to leave the store he sees not far off a girl is coming to this same door. He waits. Standing with a door swung open until she crosses the threshold and then walks about his way. This girl hurriedly sets a thousand dollar purchase on the counter. She has no questions and needs to get on her way. I look at her.

"That was really nice of him to hold the door open for you."
-no response while checking latest pda phone
"You really should have said thank you."
Looks up, "I did."
"Oh. I'm sorry I guess neither him nor I heard you."
Checks pda again, "Do I get anything free with this computer?"

Maybe I was out of my place. But we still made the sale. Is this how humankind treats each other? I'll risk not making the sale to point out to someone they missed out on a chance to display common courtesy. Sometimes I find society very disappointing.

At least she didn't go up to our 52" mounted plasma television, touching the screen in an attempt to scroll the menu and asking why it isn't a touch screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment