Monday, July 20, 2009

End of Round One

Alright the first camp has officially ended and the next one begins tomorrow. Today was a great day. All the campers left yesterday, so all staff had today off. Most of the staff went into the nearby city of Grenoble. It was a lovely day. Although we may be in France, the food at camp is still camp food. So a day in the city was very nice. We had cheese and baguettes, chocolate crepes, and signature coffee.

This next camp will be very different because I will no longer be washing dishes and scrubbing toilets but helping with the activities. I might even get to go on the overnight hikes the campers take. Another girl and I will be training the new service team members that just arrived and are quite excited about it. I am excited about this change because I love the opportunity for more interaction with the campers. However, I have very much enjoyed my job thus far and am somewhat nervous of the task ahead and the energy it will require.

I've never felt so much appreciation. At the last meal, the campers called the service team out from the back and kitchen and into the dining hall. We walk in to a roaring applause and a banner on which each kid wrote a thankful note. I was embarrassed and overwhelmed with gratitude. I loved doing what we do just so they can be hear and learn what they get to learn. It was truly a wonderful experience.

Now it's like we're starting over. All new campers and some new staff. I welcome the change and challenges to come. This camp is called the "adult camp." It's for the kids who came to camp and wanted to keep coming after they turned 18. Ages will range from 18-30, i find this odd but am excited because they say the adult camp likes being relational more than the teen camp and I am more than ok with that. It will be less people as well, only about 40 people instead of 70. We'll see what happens. If anyone has any great ideas for activities please feel free to email me because I am going to be doing a great deal with organizing those this next camp. Thanks for all your love, support and prayers.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of adult camp. I wish I could go.

    Ideas- seems to me that most folks that age want to talk and talk about
    themselves, that is always a great platform to start with...
    I'm sure you will come up with something creative and fun...
    that's who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well of course you need to start by teaching them all of the standards:
    flea-fly
    boom-chicka-boom

    :) i'll try to REALLY think of something :) love ya! sounds like my kind of week long party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SKYLER!!!!!!! I am so proud of you and your brave heart. What an adventure. The Peretti family will be praying for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete